More pet treats are being recalled in the U.S. because of concern over trace amounts of unapproved antibiotic residue found in product samples.
Hartz Mountain Corp. announced the voluntary withdrawal of two brands of treats, including Hartz Chicken Chews and Hartz Oinkie Pig Skin Twists wrapped with Chicken. The treats are sold across the U.S. for dogs.
“Even though two-thirds of the products we tested did not contain antibiotic residues, we would rather be overly cautious by voluntarily withdrawing these products from the market,” said Sean McNear, Senior Director of Quality and Regulatory at Hartz Mountain Corporation in a prepared statement. No other Hartz products are affected by this withdrawal.
The action comes in the wake of recent recalls involving other brands of chicken jerky products. The Food and Drug Administration and New York State authorities have been investigating. New York authorities have received hundreds of complaints about jerky treats that have made pets sick and even die. One report estimated at least 360 pet deaths and thousands of illnesses.
The FDA has issued three warnings over the past five years about the possible risks associated with the treats. Affected dogs suffered kidney failure and presented symptoms that included vomiting and diarrhea.
In January, Nestle Purina PetCare pulled its Waggin’ Train and Canyon Creek Ranch brand dog treats off the market. Milo’s Kitchen did the same with its Chicken Jerky and Chicken Grillers Homestyle dog treats.
All Hartz® Chicken Chews™ Soft and Tenders
• 3.5oz. package UPC Number 32700-11966
• 8oz. package UPC Number 32700-11967
• 16oz package UPC Number 32700-11953
• 24oz package UPC Number 32700-11954
• 20oz package UPC Number 32700-51694
All Hartz® Chicken Chews™ Soft and Tender Bite Sized
• 5.7oz package UPC Number 32700-12856 16oz package UPC Number 32700-12765
• 16oz package UPC Number 32700-12765
All Hartz® Oinkies® Pig Skin Twists wrapped with Chicken
• 20 pack Pig Skin Twist Sticks UPC Number 32700-13472
• 7 pack Mini Pig Skin Twists wrapped with Chicken UPC Number 32700-03330
• 15 pack Mini Pig Skin Twists wrapped with Chicken UPC Number 32700-03331
• 5 pack Pig Skin Twists wrapped with Chicken UPC Number 32700-03354
If you have these products, you are urged to contact Hartz Consumer Affairs at (800) 275-1414 or visit http://www.hartz.com. The company has also posted a question and answer page athttps://apps.facebook.com/productwithdrawinfo/.
Additionally, you can visit the American Veterinary Medical Association website for a full list of current recalls:https://www.avma.org/news/issues/recalls-alerts/pages/pet-food-safety-recalls-alerts.aspx
We use our blog to keep you posted on new pet health developments.